Hennish Rooster? Roostery Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken995, Oct 31, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Hello all, I've got quite the interesting problem. I have a 28 week old splash silkie and I'm still not 100% sure of the gender. For the longest time I thought it was a hen. It was much smaller than the other silkie, and didn't have nearly as big a comb and it wasn't crowing. So I thought I had a black silkie rooster, and a splash silkie hen. Then about 3 weeks ago, the supposed hen crowed. So I figured it was just a late bloomer. Bummer, I have two silkie roosters. But then yesterday I caught the splash silkie in a nest box squatting and singing an egg song. No egg was laid, but I found this to be peculiar behavior for a rooster. Anybody have any experience like this? Do I have a transgender silkie? lol

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Do you have a pic? That would help a lot [​IMG]

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh my gosh! That's so weird... A picture might help. [​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yeah.. Picture for sure...

you should know the gender for sure at 28 weeks. We can help you out [​IMG]

5. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I'll have to post pictures later. I don't have any recent ones on photobucket. And I'm at work. Supposed to be working. Don't tell the boss. [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

You're not alone!! [​IMG]

ETA: I've subscribed, so I will check back later to see when you have pictures [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It very well could be a rooster. A roo in a nestbox isn't peculiar at all. My boy goes in the nests several times a day to arrange them just so for his girls. I agree a picture would help. A Silkie rooster would have streamers on his crest (feathers that make his "do" a little wonky-girls crests will be even and round), a rather large walnut comb, and I don't know if this is standard for all Silkie boys- but the one I used to have crowed ALL the time. Good luck...

8. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Being in the nestbox wasn't the peculiar part. Squatting and singing an egg song was.

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I think it's a roo.
    A little while ago, i was watching my hen lay an egg. Once she was done, my roosted jumped into the nesting box! He did what seemed to be an egg song, scratched around, and sat down!! What he was doing, i still don't know! He has done it several times though! [​IMG]
    This is him (a while ago). No doubt he's a rooster!
    [​IMG]

10. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Chicken Peep, I think your rooster just doesn't like feeling left out...

As for the silkie Henroo -- we always need pictures. When in doubt, we need pictures. When in question we need pictures. When it's a question of doubt we need pictures. We're just a nosy snoopy visual bunch. [​IMG]

(I have a 10 week old bantam cochin cockerel who still peeps like a baby -- not so much as a rusty wheel crow out of him -- I've had others who've started trying to crow at four weeks. This little guy, though, is a mama's boy.)

[​IMG]

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by