Henny Penny attacked by red tailed hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kate&Thad, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Kate&Thad

Kate&Thad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Yesterday afternoon Henny Penny was attacked by a red tailed hawk. I happened to be outside just as it was happening and scared the hawk off of her. Henny has a pretty ugly laceration on her neck and some puncture wounds under her right wing. I put neosporen on them last just after it happened. She suffered great shock also. I put her in my large animal carrier and brought her into my house. Until about 1 hour ago she hadnt eaten or had a drink in over 24 hours. I got her to eat some yogurt and now she's drinking. I'm worried about pain. She's really lathargic and extra quiet. Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like shock...you're doing all the right things. Re-apply the neosporin and keep her in a nice quiet dark place until the perks up. Poor baby!! I'm sure she'll be fine. Very resilient creatures!

3. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    Just remember that the neo with the numbing ingredient is notokay for chickens.

It took my roster three days to get out of shock, I hope she makes it

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Continue with the neosporin til healed. Give her warm sugar water to perk her up, use an eyedropper. Pull her wattles down to administer and squirt a little inside her mouth and release the wattles so that she'll swallow it on her own. Then provide her scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk for a few days to eat. Buttermilk is a probiotic and easier to absorb, it also coats the intestinal lining. Yogurt is good but tends to pass through them.

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Sugar water OR electrolytes helps them recover from shock. I hope your girl is OK, though they are VERY hardy creatures and heal remarkably well even from the toughest wounds.

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Oh, poor Henny Penny! Please keep us posted!

[​IMG]

7. Kate&Thad

Dec 19, 2011
    Henny Penny is alert this morning. She didn't want much breakfast, but I left it for her to snack on throughout the day. She drank a lot of water last night and was continuing to drink this morning. Should I be expecting an egg from her? This is only my second month with Chickens so I'm not sure what to expect. Lots of chirping was coming from my bathroom as I was getting ready for work. I think it's a good sign, I'm not putting her back with the other chickens unit she is healed. Will they remember her or will I need to reintroduce them? Thanks for you help!

8. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I am a newb, too, but I understand that stress is a real egg-killer, and Henny has had her some STRESS. I wouldn't expect an egg, if it were me.

9. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Oh, poor Henny Penny! Please keep us posted!

x2!​

10. Kate&Thad

Dec 19, 2011
    Henny Penny is on her way into surgery. I feel stupid, but I love this chicken. She is more than my egg layer. She's my best bud. At lunch I notice the laceration on her neck is really bad. And looks oozy. I took her to the vet. I just wanted antibiotics. Of course she needs surgery. I feel silly doing this for a chicken. She may not get to come home tonight, but I'll keep you updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by