Henny Penny's comb is dangling.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BnC Ranch, Aug 9, 2009.

1. BnC Ranch

BnC Ranch Hatching

Aug 9, 2009
    We have a 3 year old Barred Rock Hen. She was the only survivor of a predator attack last winter. In the spring we added 8 baby chicks. All was going well, until....... Henrietta turned into Henry. He was actually doing as expected of a young Rooster; learning to crow, chasing "girls" strutting the coop etc. Yesterday, we found Henny Penny with her comb dangling and her head picked nearly bald of feathers. What to do?????

We have her in a cage in the coop. She is drinking and eating and pacing. What can we do to help her through this trauma?

Thanks for anything you can help us with.

Bob and Connie for
    Henny Penny

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hello and welcome to BYC!
    BY hanging do you mean like half torn off? or just limp hanging?

3. happypeepsfarm

happypeepsfarm Hatching

Dec 31, 2008
    Can you put him in the cage ?

4. BnC Ranch

BnC Ranch Hatching

Aug 9, 2009
    Thank you both so much for your response. It is half or MORE torn off..... and ALL the feathers gone from her head. waaaaa

That bad boy is out of the coop and away from all the girls for right now.

BTW I got that same kind a husband. [​IMG] LLLUUCCCKY us...

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:hehehe Yeah, i'm lucky. [​IMG]

So, okay, its torn off then. Can you do a search on here for comb dubbing? Look for the search button at the top of this page. BUT, before you do that, can you post a pic on here of his comb? maybe it wont need to be taken off. Maybe it will heal. theres alot of people here that will hopefully chime in to help you. They really know their stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: