Henny Penny's First Egg!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ShelterGirl, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    After taking in our beloved rescue, Henny Penny in early July, we have not had a single egg until today. While at the shelter for the first few days of observation, there was one semi-soft-shelled egg, but it was a one time deal.

Then I got the call this evening that my aunt had taken one of her dogs to the vet and came home to do chores (I was unable to go out there this week due to my car breaking down on the interstate =O ) when she looked into the air crate filled with hay that is in her pen.

We've allowed her to interact with a rooster actually IN her enclosure for a short time, but he was a bit too rough with the still recovering lady, SO we have in mind a young gentleman who is very tender to his hens. Luckily though, our other rooster named Squirt, helped her get back to feeling better and in the mind to set.

AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW-
    I was informed that there was an egg right in the hay.

No pictures yet, but we are smiling and thrilled that our sweet girl is one step closer to recovery. We still have a few feathers to grow back, but all is well. It's been about 78 days now since we took her in, and it's felt like so much longer.

Thanks to all her Facebook friends and to all the BYC support. The motivation has given us faith, and surely given her strength. (I'll admit, I whispered to her about how many fans she has, and when I first picked her up to bring her home I told her on the whole car ride that she had three roosters who would love to meet her!)

If you would like to keep updated-
    www.facebook.com/HennyPennyRescue

We will post pictures of the egg soon, but feel free to have a look at how she was when she first arrived, and how she is doing today. This is one of the toughest, most determined hens I have had the joy of knowing.

With all of our admiration, and the thankful clucks of H.P. -

BYC is amazing. [​IMG] <3

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Oh, what a heart-warming post! So glad HennyPenny is doing what chickens do best, and enjoying life now. May she have many good years ahead [​IMG]

3. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for your kind words. It is this kind of friendship and warm wishes that has pulled us, and most importantly her, through a rough few months. Many didn't have faith in her during the start, but fellow chicken lovers and their welcoming hearts and thoughts helped push away the negativity.

We are thrilled with her improvement, and yes, it seems she now is enjoying her new life. I can only hope that she fully understands, this is her FOREVER HOME. Until her passing (which we hope is far off, and that she lives a wonderful and peaceful life) she will remain as a member of the Sugar-Ridge rescue family.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    My pleasure. It warms my heart to know there are still people out there who care so much about animals. Looking forward to hearing more about Henny Penny and her wonderful new start! [​IMG]

Had to add, I checked out your FB page...poor baby!!! What a wonderful gift you've given her. I can't imagine what a huge job that must have been, and heart-wrenching. She (and you!) are an inspiration.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I got a bit teary reading this thread. Well done, well done. I'm so impressed and inspired. I had a sick girl for three months and stuck it out, and she's running around and healthy now. Sometimes it's worth it fighting the hard fight.

Egg shots soon please!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    The Facebook pictures, to be honest, didn't do it justice. The first picture I posted was after all her days at the shelter under observation and cleaning. I fell in love with her the first day she came in, on the 29th. She was covered in dried blood and her poor feathers were matted with it (what feathers she had). They actually cut the tips of her wing feathers, and some of the tail feathers, in order to see what damage had been done. Multiple punctures...but when I held her as they cleaned her, I noticed how she fought against it. I knew she was tough, and though I was questioned for even keeping her alive, I had to try.

The wing and tail feathers that were cut are just now beginning to grow back, and they look very healthy and good.

When she seemed to be getting better, we suddenly had a crash. No eating, throwing up, watery stool. Turns out she had two different types of worms and coccidia. That involved giving her two oral medicines with syringes, which was not fun. She still seemed a bit off, so I suggested to start giving her fresh vegetables. What do you know- she will tear INTO some tomatoes! If you tell her to sing for it, she will cluck so pretty. She knows what her fruits and veggies look like!

It's been, as said, a difficult few months. But she has done so well, and is so strong. We just need to do fecal samples every so often, and have feathers to grow back. Thank you for all of the love BYC has shown.

Dowie-
    What happened to your girl? I'm glad she is doing better now!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by