HennyPenny sang the eggsong when ChickenLittle laid an egg. Normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn252, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

I looked out at the run this morning and saw HennyPenny at the door of the run singing loud and clear with her head and neck stretched way up tall.
    Went out to the run to see what was happening and found ChickenLittle had laid her first egg today. Right there in the run, just inside the door.
    The nest box was all stirred up, so I know one of them was in there earlier.
    HennyPenny stopped laying two weeks ago; not sure why, but I thought maybe the chilly temperatures had stopped her egg production. So I thought the cold weather might delay ChickenLittle from ever starting to lay, but today she gave us her first egg. Is it common for one hen to sing an egg song when some other hen lays?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Sure. If I got an egg from every "singer" I would get 30-40 eggs a day. Today I got 8.

Matt

3. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    My hens sometimes ALL get going when one of them lays an egg. They love to sing the praises of their sisters [​IMG] Totally normal.

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

yes my girl 'sang' really loud and I went out to see what was going on (am new to this) and sure enough she laid an egg. My other girl SLW also 'sang' with her and sings like this lately but no egg from her yet?

5. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    My ROOSTER sometimes sings with some of the more vocal hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by