HenPecked Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pampered Chickens, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Pampered Chickens

Pampered Chickens New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    I have a sweet rooster, Zorro, who is a cochin with feathers down his legs and over his feet. All the girls he loves (36) do not have this trait .Now that the girls are 2 1/2 years old they don't seem to be in love so much and prefer to pluck out his leg/foot feathers. I have docile girls,Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds and Wynedottes. They all partake in this activity until his feet are all bloody and he hides in a corner under the laying boxes.I separate him until he heals and then they are back at him in a day or two. I placed doggie booties on him with velcro fasteners and this got him through the past 3 month without attack and his rooster prancing returned.I've tried spraying his feet with gentin violet,treating it with neosporin and A&D with ground pepper in it..no luck. Since winter is still here in Wisconsin the booties work for now, but what about spring and summer??Has anyone had this diversity issue??

2. chickenrunner83

chickenrunner83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Griffin
    At 2 1/2 years some hens stop laying and most do at 3. once they're "change" starts they often become rude to the Roos. It's not as bad if you have younger hens in with them that are still in love with him. They give him a distraction and sometimes will actually protect him. I normally send my girls to freezer camp around 2 or take them to the auction. I hop this helps.

3. Pampered Chickens

Pampered Chickens New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks, that may explain the behavior, but I can't do that.I have a 7 yr old rooster and 4 hens he lives with of the same age and they continue to produce eggs in an every other day frequency. Separated from the large younger crowd- perhaps spring and being free in the farm yard will improve his fate.My younger group(36) produce 24 a day even now in Winter. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by