Henri coming. Hitting us dead on

ReneesRanch

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
With Henri hitting CT straight on tomorrow I have just set up my chickens in two cages tonight. Do they tend to chill when a bad storm like this comes? I am curious what to expect with them in a slightly smaller cage than their coop for the next 24 hours. It is taller but not as wide I added perches and hung their food and water. But there isn’t much room to roam around on the floor this next day. Heavy rains starts 5am and the worst goes until about 9pm the news is saying. I feel bad they are stuck like that for a day but it’s safer than being out in the storm in the coop and run.

With Henri hitting CT straight on tomorrow I have just set up my chickens in two cages tonight. Do they tend to chill when a bad storm like this comes? I am curious what to expect with them in a slightly smaller cage than their coop for the next 24 hours. It is taller but not as wide I added perches and hung their food and water. But there isn’t much room to roam around on the floor this next day. Heavy rains starts 5am and the worst goes until about 9pm the news is saying. I feel bad they are stuck like that for a day but it’s safer than being out in the storm in the coop and run.
Be smart. I understand what you are doing. I did the same with a blizzard that eventually buried their coop. Brought them inside and set them up in a basement hallway for 2 days.

Here is my blizzards story. This photo is of the entire backyard early in the storm.
20160123_081135.jpg

These photos are from the mid point of the blizzard. It snowed for nearly 48 hours.

20201021_120139.jpg

20201116_084112.jpg

20160123_161138.jpg

20160123_161128.jpg

View attachment 2413209
I brought the girls inside and improvised a roost for them.
20160123_230240.jpg

They hung out in the hallway for 2 days while the storm raged and then I dug out.

My leghorn, Daisy, the greatest hen ever, even laid eggs in the hallway.
2016-01-23 14.16.21.jpg

This was the last measurement I got. At this point it was still snowing and we were at 31 inches.
20160123_203906.jpg

I'm also in CT and hunkered down. My hens are in their coop and the run is wrapped in a tarp. I set up an emergency coop in my basement if I need to move them. Sounds like your chickens are safe. You stay safe, too!

Back
Top Bottom