Henri the peacock is now fine, thanks for help all.

doudini2

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Hello Birders,
today, Heni started doing a weird thing- he kinda stretches his neck and down, like he is trying to pass something down his tummy. He does it more frequently now in the past 10 min. We grabbed him and I massaged his tube on his neck for a while, which he actually seemed to like and calmed him, but the minute I let him go, he started again. I heard some air trapped like sound in his neck when I was massaging him. Earlier today, he ate some dandelions which he loves, but maybe he swallowed a long piece, maybe it is half in his stomach and half in his throat? He has done that many times in past, by mistake of course, but never had this issue.
So again- he kinda stretches up, then down, like he is swallowing or having hick ups without the sound. What can I do to help? Can he choke to death? Actually just now, I massaged again and realized the back of his neck between shoulderblades, is raised, as if there is obviously something stuck there(I guess their tube leads across the back of their necks unlike humans), like a lump, and when I pressed, he got really upset and ran away...

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello,
Someone with more experience will probably step in here to give an opinion, but until then:
I'm guessing that you are right, Henri just has some of those dandelion greens stuck and is trying to get them down the hatch.

For example, I found this note from AuguredIn from a previous thread when I was worried about our peas:
"It is almost impossible for a peafowl to choke as the lead to the lungs is very high in the neck right at the base of the tongue. I routinely have a peafowl swallow straw they they have to work to get down. It will hang out of their moths for a while while they try to work it down. My peas also love shredded collards. They have to work to get that down as well if the shred is long."

If you think there's a lump on his back, he's probably just hunching his "shoulders" because he is uncomfortable. They don't have any digestive organs back there. Pea digestive tracts look somewhat like this (sorry I couldn't find a pea diagram):

(please note that this image is not mine, it is borrowed from the web, thank you!)

*edited to add:
Have you looked into his beak to make sure there isn't something obviously stuck in his throat?
It sounds as though he is comfortable being handled, so you might take a peek in there.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, he seems to have been burping a few times, and now does a less of the stretching. Thank goodness they can't choke easily. I will keep an eye on him. I am so paranoid of a time, when I am not home and he will eat some object and I won't be heere to save him.
Here are some pictures of him, for your help!

Henri is so beautiful!
love.gif

And I'm glad that he seems to be improving.
I remember you writing about him in a long-ago thread - he's a 100% indoor bird (in your actual house), right?
How is that going?

Last edited:
Thank you,
so he lives in the house, and roams in the kitchen and family room and he sleeps in the laundry room. He is so funny, like with begging, he behaves exactly like a dog- he will beg for human food, like Indian or Sushi, and if he does not get from us, he either pecks us, or he starts throwing his toys, and pulling and pecking them. So we kinda have to either give him our food too or he has to go to a time out. Also on a weekdays he is really ****** because nooone has time to play with him, but on the weekend he is so sweet, as if he realizes that on the weekends we have a good time together. He hangs out on a couch with us, and if it is nice out, I put him into a large dog pen on a grass for few hours...He craps a lot of course, and we had to hire my mom to come and clean the house, because it is becoming a mess. But having him is so much fun. We recently got him a puppet like toy, and we pet him with it, he loves it, especially his face.
What is it with peacocks and their faces, they loved to be vigorously petted, or even gently smacked with toys, I swear, mine loves shoes and socks a lot too...little weird. I want to upload a video soon of him playing with socks.

I used to be here more often, reading stories and seeing pics, but I am really busy with school and work, so haven't been here in months. Last time I remember, the peacock named Dragon of another member was eaten I think, and it was so sad, and he looked a lot like Henri...I cannot imagine losing the pets, they are so innocent and sweet.
What do you have? In case I don;t reply soon, I got busy with homework...not gonna sleep for next few days:)

love.gif
Waht a beautiful boy,, so glad you got him all better.

Does he wear a diaper in the house? i know they do not poop as much as a chicken but i also know if something upsets them they can make a runny smelly poo on demand,
sickbyc.gif

Playing with things like your sox is normal , in the outdoors mine play with twigs and grasses pulling and pecking at them.

Thank you, 
so he lives in the house, and roams in the kitchen and family room and he sleeps in the laundry room. He is so funny, like with begging, he behaves exactly like a dog- he will beg for human food, like Indian or Sushi, and if he does not get from us, he either pecks us, or he starts throwing his toys, and pulling and pecking them. So we kinda have to either give him our food too or he has to go to a time out. Also on a weekdays he is really ****** because nooone has time to play with him, but on the weekend he is so sweet, as if he realizes that on the weekends we have a good time together. He hangs out on a couch with us, and if it is nice out, I put him into a large dog pen on a grass for few hours...He craps a lot of course, and we had to hire my mom to come and clean the house, because it is becoming a mess. But having him is so much fun. We recently got him a puppet like toy, and we pet him with it, he loves it, especially his face.
What is it with peacocks and their faces, they loved to be vigorously petted, or even gently smacked with toys, I swear, mine loves shoes and socks a lot too...little weird. I want to upload a video soon of him playing with socks.

I used to be here more often, reading stories and seeing pics, but I am really busy with school and work, so haven't been here in months. Last time I remember, the peacock named Dragon of another member was eaten I think, and it was so sad, and he looked a lot like Henri...I cannot imagine losing the pets, they are so innocent and sweet.
What do you have? In case I don;t reply soon, I got busy with homework...not gonna sleep for next few days:)

That's too funny!

love.gif
Waht a beautiful boy,, so glad you got him all better.

Does he wear a diaper in the house? i know they do not poop as much as a chicken but i also know if something upsets them they can make a runny smelly poo on demand,
sickbyc.gif

Playing with things like your sox is normal , in the outdoors mine play with twigs and grasses pulling and pecking at them.

Is that why every time I pick one up I get poohed on. I've heard people put diapers on them but how do you clean that fuzzy hinney is my question? So neat to see that big fellow just at home in the house. I can't keep up with myself would have a heck of of time cleaning up all the oops, but it's really neat.

Back
Top Bottom