Henrietta or Henry ?? Also what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kat7729, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Kat7729

Kat7729 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Elizabethtown PA
    I think this is the most beautiful bird....5 months old....However I do not know the breed! Also now my husband is trying to convince me I have been incorrectly calling it the wrong name! Any help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emmyeagle

emmyeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Central New Mexico
    Looks like a Henry. Cochin

3. Kat7729

Mar 19, 2014
    Elizabethtown PA
    thank you !! So if that is so.......when would he start cockadooing (totally misspelled) and would there be spurs?

4. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

Partridge cochin cockerel. Love the jewel colors! I've had partridge Wyandottes, and they were like beetles they were so shiny!

Crowing is very individual. I've heard strangled squawks at just a few weeks, and sometimes not for months. Spurs won't come along for a few months more, though you might see some minor growth. Again, very individualistic.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  5. Kat7729

Mar 19, 2014
    Elizabethtown PA
    Thank you again so much. So I don't know what is worse....the fact that my Henrietta is now Henry and an unintentional rooster among hens.........OR that my husband was RIGHT! hahaha [​IMG]

6. SweetSilver

For the moment, the fact that your husband was right. That's a sour taste to have to swallow, but one that will fade, while your little guy there is likely to give you trouble in the future. If all goes well, hubby will forget, this gorgeous boy will be mellow and life will be good.

7. SweetSilver

BTW, I adore cochins. I love their shape, even though those feathered feet and the overall looseness of their feathering isn't very practical for the rainy, muddy Pacific Northwest. But I can never get past what a beautiful shape they are, and the standards crack me up when they come running... er... if you can call it that..... when you come bearing treats. Those fat thighs, the round, bunchy tail ends. They are so wonderful and funny and sweet that I wind up getting them in spite of my better judgement. There was a gorgeous red cockerel at the fair, now I want red. Seeing your partridge boy, I want the partridge. It never ends. I have to keep chanting "Mud, mud, mud" And they aren't the best layers, either, even when they are laying because they are broody all the flippin' time.

Ooooh, but they come in barred, too...... :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Partridge Cochin cockerel. He's a pretty boy!

9. Kat7729

Mar 19, 2014
    Elizabethtown PA
    Thank you all so much for your comments. This is my first year with chickens, having started in April with little peeps. It has been a mixed bag of surprises ( a rooster now!) as well as learning. I have an eclectic bunch of hens and appreciate everyone's knowledge on this site. I must say my kids thought I was nuts! But now they all appreciate the absolute joy and fun entertainment they bring. Surprisingly we find ourselves sitting on our bench by the run a lot. [​IMG]The eggs seem to be just an added bonus! Thanks again!!

Kathleen

10. SweetSilver

The eggs and, as a gardener I must say, the poo. I was also surprised how fun it was to watch the Chicken Channel. Welcome to our world!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by