1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Henrietta or Henry? Thank you!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HENrietta's House, Oct 24, 2009.

1. HENrietta's House

HENrietta's House Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    8-month old barred rock... doesn't crow... no large spurs, but bumps... bigger legs than all other hens (different breeds)... much larger than all others the same age... just spotted jumping on other hens! What do you think? Is it Henrietta or just Henry? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I think "Henry." He's kind tricky. Run your fingers under those saddle feathers at the base of his tail. If they are pointed, he's definitely a dude.

3. WhitehartRabbitry

WhitehartRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Ohio
    That's definitely a Henry. He's a handsome fella!

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    AWWWWHHH Henry is so cute!

5. HENrietta's House

Jun 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    We think so, too, but can't believe we haven't heard him crow!?!!?!? Is that unheard of at 8 months? Do some roosters never crow? When do the bumps develop into spurs? Thank you everyone!

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Looks like a Henry. Some of my slow growing wyandottes took 6-8 months to crow, and almost 2 years to grow spurs.

-Cindy

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    my ameraucana is that old and hasn't crowed yet. no spurs either [​IMG]

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My SLW roo's spurs didn't start growing until he was around 8 months old or so, but he was crowing by then.

Henry is handsome! Maybe he'll stay quiet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. HENrietta's House

Jun 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thank you everyone for your help! We're really hoping he stays quiet, becuase he's really a nice rooster! We'll now get a good laugh each time we log in as HENrietta's House!

10. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Definatly a Henry, sometimes if a young roo is around an older roo they won't dare crow usually for quite sometime. It seems they will try to run incognito or maybe they just automatically know to keep their trap shut if they know what's good for them.
    I have a 7 mo. old BR roo not crowing yet but he's doing his job, i've seen him in action, mostly in secret and when they are all out grazing he talks to and calls the pullets(that'll have anything to do with him) to eat little morsels and such, but no crowing and as a matter of fact some of the old hens won't let him around unless he wants to get a good thrashing. and the funny thing is he could take them at a drop of a hat, as he is twice their size, but he still thinks that they'll kill him even if he even thinks about attempting to put a move on them.

I bet here in a couple of months he'll change up their minds. them ol'gals will be thinking he's gonna kill them if he get a hold of them.

so watch out ol' gals he's a commin' around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by