Henry's Coop

Natty Bumppo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Southern Illinois
Well I got a good start on it, and took a few photos to share. Building a coop is actually kinda fun, and I'll post more as I go
smile.png

25275_framing.jpg

25275_vent_framing.jpg

25275_vent_open.jpg

25275_predator_proofing.jpg

VERY VERY nice. I too look forward to seeing more pics. Love the way you framed the walls. It would be nice looking if you just had hardware cloth attached.

Speaking of hardware cloth. While I was cutting a ton of it over the weekend getting my horse stall preditor proof, I wished for POWER wire cutters.

Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see more.

It's an 8x8 outside so I guess about 55-60 sq ft of usable space. I set those 2x4 braces in the framing on reversing angles like that for strength (they're nailed and gorrila glued). The building is very stiff. The braces are flat to the outside of the walls so they wouldn't catch as much dust when the coop is finished.

The fun thing about building something like this is thinking your way through it one step at a time and this BYC site is such a great resource for ideas (like linoleum floors). I spent many evenings going through different discussions and decided this chicken stuff sounds like something good to do with my wife and kids. We started raising a couple of berkshire pigs each year for meat, and now we'll be adding buckeye chickens to the menagerie.
smile.png

Looks really nice! I like it. I am all for the hardware cloth at the top. I like lots of air flow for my chickens but I live much further south than you do.
Keep up the good work! It is looking beautiful!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom