Hens acting like Roosters?! (i hope!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigBuckSnort, Sep 7, 2009.

1. BigBuckSnort

BigBuckSnort Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    Today I added a 6'x10' dog kennel to one end of my 'a' frame coop for the chickens to have a little more room to run. This is the first time they have been out since I got them about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure how old they are, but I'm guessing 15-17 weeks. I have posted pix of them on here before and everyone agreed that 3 are hens, one is a roo.

Well, when I let them out today they got all excited. 2 of the hens were stretching their necks out, ruffling their feathers and kind of fighting around like a rooster would do....? Do hens do this, or do I need to reevaluate my chickens genders?

oh yea, The one that I think is a roo got so excited about his new space he tried crowing.... it actually sounded like something that would come from a crow, but it was funny to see him get all cocky!

2. BigBuckSnort

Sep 8, 2008
    the feathers around their necks were ruffled when they stretched out their necks.

3. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    yes all my hens do it lol dont worry.

4. BigBuckSnort

Sep 8, 2008
    thank goodness [​IMG]

They have just all been so calm acting in their coop, and then when they got their new run it startled me the way they were all acting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by