1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens all laying at the same time?Is this weird?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rubysmom, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I have 3 chickens all different breeds but the same age and they have all started laying at almost the same day. One started the first day, then the next one the second day and now the last one is in the nest box on the third day. They are all 20 weeks, is this odd?

The eggs are so cute. The first ones were tiny but today we got a double yolker. Very exciting!

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is sooooooooooo exciting!!!

3. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    It is very exciting. My chickens also seem to prefer to lay their eggs when I'm in the coop? How crazy is that?
    They are just sooo cute! I am hooked on chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  4. shaylee

shaylee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    rubysmom, funny about them laying when you are in the coop. My son calls Sally, a banty, his pet chicken. Twice we have been out to gather eggs and she would be in the nesting area. She stood up both times we were in there and out flew an egg, lol. She stands up to do that, which I didnt know if that was typical or not. Amazing to see for the first time though. lol. We had a good chuckle over it.

My chickens that are laying will lay nearly every day and take the same days off (aside from the occasional rebel. ) I will have days with lots of eggs and days with very few (about once a week) They seem to cycle together.

5. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Congrats on your eggs! Mine will go around me if I happen to be in their way of getting to the nest boxes. They are use to me being in there with them.....they must think of me as one of the girls....LOL!

6. rubysmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Shaylee, that is so funny about the standing up. My favorite chicken stands up when she lays her egg too. She is a Light Brahma. I think she wants me to see what a fine job she's doing. It really is fascinating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by