Hens all od a sudden not putting themselves to bed. What happened?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lbartsch, Feb 27, 2012.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Hello Chicken Friends.

I need some advice if possible. Two of my three hens (8 month old RIR and SL Wyandotte) have stopped going into their run and coop at sundown for no discernible reason. When I go out to close up the coop our other hen (8 month old EE) is roosting in the coop as usual while the other two are on top of the coop roof and I have to get them down and place them in the coop to secure them.

I can't think of anything that precipitated this weird change in behavior. Everything else is normal.

Any ideas on what caused it and how I can get them to go to bed themselves again?

Thanks!
    Lynn

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Sounds like something has scared them in their home.Chickens normally feel safe in their coop, so before it gets to dark for them to see they return to roost there. I have one chicken that is a rescued chicken who use to always be the last to go home because everyone picked on her so she hated to go back to the coop every evening. One evening before dark I went to check on them head count. All were present but the rescued girl. I thought she finally flew the coop & ran off. Just before it got to dark to see I found her on top of the run. Have you seen something hanging around the coop? A predator maybe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by