Hens almost 5 months...huge poos, loud squawking no eggs yet...normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Here chickie chickie!, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Here chickie chickie!

Here chickie chickie! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    My five hens will be five months old beginning of December. Recently found huge poos in the coop that have an abundance of a white, sticky substance coating a portion of the poo. They've started squawking loudly from time to time, especially in the morning. Keep thinking today's the day for their first eggs but so far, only huge poos. Are they close to producing eggs?[​IMG]

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    All I can say is that's it's perfectly normal for birds to not be laying at 5 months. I have three 21 week EEs and not one of them has layed yet. Different breeds get going earlier or later and then different hens will have their own timetable within that breed's range.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Normal most chickens will not lay till 20 week or later. The white substance on the poo is urine.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have some EE and buff O's born in May and the EE's are just starting to lay.I got 2 bluish eggs yesterday.Some days I got nothing after the initial blue egg.Slow but sure each one is starting to squat. Poo sounds normal to me.I just worry about the runny stuff. My teen girls are eating the layer pellets and getting some oyster shell. The cold and less sun might also have an effect on them.

5. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    My end-of-March babies are now eight months old and about half are beginning to lay. I've learned to disregard the hype about pullets laying at five and six months. Some do according to posts, but laying is based on maturity, and I'd rather my girls grew up well, strong, and healthy before beginning their laying. Three deep breaths, take joy in watching their antics while they are still growing up, and then, be surprised some morning in 8-10 weeks when they gift you with their first eggs. ~G

6. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    my 7 month old New Hampshires just started laying last week we get 4 a day and there are 10 of them. Guess they will lay when they are ready...I hope soon.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum? It should help.

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by