Hens almost crowing like a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by our 5 chickie babies, Jul 1, 2010.

1. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello All Since we are new to having these babies I hope you don't mind us asking questions.I was out in the yard today and I heard alot of noise coming from the coop.So I went to take a look.All the babies were up on top of the trash can(their favorite spot) But one of the hens was sounding almost like a rooster.I looked around to make sure there wasn't something in or around the coop to be scaring them and there wasn't.They stopped as soon as I went inside the run area.Is this usual?
    Thanks for all your help!! Keep me sane Please!! LOL
    JIM&LINDY

2. COOPster

COOPster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Not uncommon at all at least for my birds. I have one hen who struts around and greets me every morning acting like a roo. From my understanding it is very common for one of the hens to play the role, especially if they have been around roos previously.

3. FaithAnn

FaithAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    My little dominant hen does the same thing. She has always been the boss and she will stand in the door of the coop and will cluck and carry on to let everyone know she is the boss.

4. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Thank you very much for the replies.Our babies are 13 weeks old now and I just wanted to make sure they hadn't lost their minds..LOL
    JIM&LINDY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by