1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens and Ashes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozark hen, May 16, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    My DH cleaned out the wood burning furnace and left one bucket of ashes outside by the kitchen door. Today, after hearing a racket, I found four chickens lined up while one was in the bucket of ashes dusting herself. It was a funny sight, they each had a turn. I will be sure to have my DH dump that bucket where they can use it without having to wait in line. Looked like a line to the porta-potty. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I've seen chickens dust bathe in ashes in a firepit it is a funnt sight.

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    well, my DH came home and dumped the bucket and they just dove right in. Guineas were first. [​IMG]

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    There's a wood-fired bakery not too far from me and I asked the owner if I could get some ashes for my garden and chickens. He said, "sure, bring a metal trash can!"
    Stephanie

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:That is wonderful, but you had better bring some muscle as they are really heavy. I keep saying bucket that my DH uses but it is a metal trashcan and he has to use a hand dolly to get it out of the basement. Very heavy!

6. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    Wood ashes are excellent to rid birds of mites and such [​IMG] I prefer using them over any otehr method [​IMG]
    And as your post points out the hens sure seem to love the ash piles [​IMG]

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Yes, those cans are heavy, I agree--I use those to store the chicken feed. The owner of the bakery specified that metal be used because there may be live coals mixed in the ashes.

Another possible source for wood ashes is the local BBQ place. A pound of pork BBQ and a bucket of ashes to go, please!
    Stephanie

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG]

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, you learn a new thing everyday here,
    ive got an old slow combustion wood heater for my little outdoor living room. my own little retreat outside in the garden!!! im going to test the ashes out on my girls.
    Thanks

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Will definitely try ashes from the firepit next time, but I will let them cool down first ha ha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by