Hens and Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackie, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jackie

jackie New Egg

Sep 14, 2007
    Pilot mountain,N.C.
    Hello,
    Iam new to this site. And I know this is a stupid question, But Do you keep the baby chicks with their mom?
    I have looked all over the site and couldnt find the answer.
    I had 3 chicks with their mom. They seem to be doing good, Except today I went out to feed and found the most recent hatchling dead.
    Should I take them away from mom, And try to keep them warm in their own space.
    Thank You for any help you can give me.

2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Did the mother kill the chick or something else? If the hen is harming them take them away.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some hens don't make good broodys but make excellent moms, some make excellent moms and bad broodys. If the mom is caring for the others and it is only the hatchling dead, maybe she knew something was wrong or something else got it.

4. jackie

jackie New Egg

Sep 14, 2007
    Pilot mountain,N.C.
    No, I dont think so. But were they are, she could have stepped on it.
    There are 2 chicks left, and she is sitting on 2 more eggs. I just want the two that I have left to be ok.
    Thank you.

5. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Watch how she is with the 2 that she has. She should be watching them, clucking to them, letting them follow her around and snuggle under her. If she is driving them away, pecking at them, or just seems stressed like she doesn't know what to do, them take them away. I'd watch first before jumping to conclusions. Sometimes chicks die. Let's not convict the mother just yet.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

How old are the chicks? A thought I had was maybe she hasn't taken them out for water and food if she's still on the nest setting. Usually they leave the nest and the ones left to hatch die, but maybe the reverse is happening here....she's staying on the nest too long.

7. jackie

jackie New Egg

Sep 14, 2007
    Pilot mountain,N.C.
    The two chicks are 5 days old. The water and food is in with her. She has been very good with them. But it has been raining today, So she hasent went out today.
    Thanks to all for the Info.
    Jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by