1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens and chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MRNpoultry, Apr 23, 2008.

1. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    My chicks are about 8 weeks old now and getting to big for there rubbermaid container. I have three 1 year old rir hens, one is nice (kind of) to the chicks. But the other two chase them around. What can I do about moving them out. My grandpa friend has had chickens for 50-60 years. He said all you can do is wait tell they get big enough to fight back. So what can I do with them now. This would be a good reason for another coop.

Edited for bad spelling

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  2. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    We have 15 chickens that are nine weeks this Sunday. We have 5 EEs that just turned five weeks. When they were three weeks, we put them in the coop with the big girls, separated by wire so they could give each other the stink-eye without actually touching. After about ten days, we let them out. A few of the big girls would chase them, but the little ones would hide behind the feed can. We kept watching them, and when we got the run finished, the little ones would sneak out with the big girls. They would give chase ever so often, but the little ones are pretty quick. After a few days, they got tired of chasing them, and we took the wire down in the coop. Now they mingle, with just a chase ever so often. The big girls finally figured out the little guys were here to stay. [​IMG]

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I was thinking about puting hardware cloth in to keep them seperated.

After a few days, they got tired of chasing them, and we took the wire down in the coop.

I hope my hens will get tired of chasing them to.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by