1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens and incubated chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melllowyellow, May 10, 2011.

1. melllowyellow

melllowyellow New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    I have a hen that has been broody for a month but her eggs did not hatch. We had a rooster up to then but no longer. She doesn't seem to want to give up, but any eggs now are not fertile. I also have eight chicks that hatched from the incubator yesterday. Can I give those chicks to her or will she kill them?

2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Slip them in over night and see what happens. I believe that some people stagger them under their hens. i.e. a few each night. If she is determined then she'll likely take to them.

New hen mommas and chicks are the absolute cutest thins that there are.

ETA: clarification

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Just what bakerjw said. I slipped 10 under my broody hen at night and only one perished. There is nothing more precious than a momma hen with her chicks. She will protect them like a wild cat but is as gentle as can be with them. When she takes them outside to "free range" in their enclosed area in the grass if she finds something that looks good to eat or when she wants them to follow her she makes different sounds.

Those 9 chicks were terrors to momma. When she would rest with them under her they would peek out and explore if they weren't too tired. They would walk on her back (some would tumble off occasionally) swing on her waddles and peck at her eyes. She put up with it all. I could sit for hours just watching her.

Who needs TV?

Good luck and enjoy!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dtsacbanty

dtsacbanty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    sacramento
    Quote:Absolutely lovely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by