Hens and laying?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pip's chicks, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Pip's chicks

Pip's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    What is a good friendly breed that matures quickly and lays well?

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    A lot of the layer types are a bit flighty, but you can get a dual purpose bird that will also lay well and tends to be friendler. Black Australorps and Rocks seem pretty friendly, as well as Delawares, but Im not sure they lay as well as an Australorp.
    Ive only had one official 'laying breed' that was really sweet, and that was a Blue Andalusian. What you can do is get like 3 or 4 leghorns for good eggs/fast maturity, and a couple of a really friendly breed too.
    Good Luck, I hope someone else has some better imput. [​IMG]

3. MomToTheZoo

MomToTheZoo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Western Washington
    My Favoerolles are the friendliest [​IMG] They are supposed to be good winter layers but I cannot attest to that yet [​IMG]

4. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    rocks. they mature pretty quickly, tend to be friendly, and lay really well.

5. bullpup95

bullpup95 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Vancleave, MS
    Ditto on the Rocks!! My favorite out of my birds.

6. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have a dark cornish that laid 7 eggs a week throughout the whole winter last winter, including a freak blizzard! She also laid through the freak heat wave! She has slowed up a little (4-5 eggs a week) the last month, maybe she is molting. she is nice, but skiddish, you have to catch her to pet her.

My EE lay well and are friendly!

Love my BR!

I am now totally in love with the Faverolles and the brabanters, but they are too young to lay, so we will see

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by