hens and roo with black spots on combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vtgirls, Oct 23, 2010.

1. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    help! my 5 chickens and roo woke up today with black spotting on their combs. the little bantam cochin is also bleeding from her comb a bit. i have observed no fighting at all. temps dipped to just freezing here last night but the black spotting is not just at the tips, rather it is scattered about the combs. there is no spotting on any wattles. everyone is eating and full of normal activity and temperment. my birds free range for several hours a day and have a 100 sguare foot run. they have a 20 square foot coop, which is kept very clean. i have read about pox too, though this spotting was not there yesterday and is present on all but one of the barred rock hens as of this morning. they are all about 6 months old except one hen who is 2. i am worried about them - any ideas???

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Pictures would help. My chickens get this a lot, I'm pretty sure it's from them pecking each other, which is totally normal behavior, on the roost or for better position some place else (a good dusting area, food, etc.).

3. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    i will attempt some pictures- i really dont think its pecking each other - they would have had to have had a pecking fest at each other all night when there was nothing the day before, out to the coop with the camera....

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    my chickens get them black spots its from pecking they r telling u they r bored

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by