Hens and temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 6, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Should I assume that variations are ok since hens will get off the nest to eat,, drink and take care of bathroom duties at least once a day during incubation.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How much variation?

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Not sure what it would be considering the time of day she got off the nest and the temperature it is when she gets off the nest and how long she stays off.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Are you worried about a broody's eggs or an incubator?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have two Broody Hens. One hatched out two eggs and the other is still setting. The first 5 days they usually do not leave the nest for long...then they will leave once a day to eat, drink and poop....usually about 5 to 10 minutes......Mine are in my garage under heat lamps, although it is not warm by no means....My Chicks are doing great and the eggs under my hen are developing just fine.......Not sure what your asking?

Cheers!

6. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Just curious not worried about anything. While waiting on my eggs to hatch I start to thinking and decided to see what others think about certain situations. That's all.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Oh, perfect......your on a great site with many great people to help you if you do run into concerns?

Happy hatching!

Cheers!

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Ok, I'm just a little confused. Are you meaning in a broody hen situation or fluctuating temps in an incubator?

9. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Talking about broody hen sitting. Was wondering how much variation in temperature and humidity when she leaves the nest to do what ever she does.

10. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Oh, ok.

I don't know how much it changes exactly, but I do know that the eggs under a broody usually get cold before she returns to the nest, so the temp drops pretty significantly. Humidity I'm not sure, but when eggs get wet or the nest is in a damp area I have problems with rotten eggs. The drier the nest the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by