Hens are 21 months old and haven't molted yet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePaulsRanch, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ThePaulsRanch

ThePaulsRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    Teller County, CO
    Hello! I have 5 hens that are now 21 months old. Two of them molted this past December and are back to their beautiful feathery selves:) The other 3 haven't yet. Is this a cause for concern, or will the girls molt in their own time? I have a string of rope lights that turn on in their coop early in the morning to help with egg production over the winter. Is the lighting messing up their system? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you so much!

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Sometimes leaving a light on will keep them from molting.

3. ThePaulsRanch

Jun 7, 2016
    Teller County, CO
    The strange thing is my other two hens molted with the same light while on the timer. If the light is what is causing the rest not to molt, I will get rid of the light! But I wonder, since I've used the lighting for a few months already, will it stress them even more if I just stop lighting the coop?

4. ThePaulsRanch

Jun 7, 2016
    Teller County, CO
    If that's the reason, I will cut the light! But the other two hens molted just fine with it on the timer. Could different breeds molt at different ages? Thanks for your help!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not all birds follow the 'rules'.
    Some will not molt with extra light, some will.
    I've had both happen.
    Not using lights this year and some of the molters have come back into lay already.
    And some of the pullets(9-10mo) are molting, some have never laid yet.
    There's just no guarantees with live animals.

What breeds do you have?
    Which are molting, which did not, who's still laying???

6. ThePaulsRanch

Jun 7, 2016
    Teller County, CO
    I have Easter Eggers which are the ones who have already molted. The others that I have that are the same age (21 months) are Rhode Island Reds. And these girls are the ones who aren't molting- and they need too. Their feathers are in need of it:) The Rhodes are the ones who are still laying too.

Another point I think might be important to add, is that my whole flock is on Feather Fixer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by