Hens are 28 and 29 weeks old and still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aandemom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. aandemom

aandemom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I have 7 girls and 5 of them are still not laying! Granted, it is winter and we did just go through a bout of fowl pox, but 2 started laying just after Thanksgiving.
    What's up? Any ideas?

2. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    What breed are they? Are they all the same? I have an easter egger that was born last January(ish) that still hasn't started. [​IMG] It's winter now, and I expect her to start in the spring. Sometimes, they're not on our schedule.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Are they all the same breed? Some heritage breeds take longer to start laying. Certainly those other factors you mentioned could affect the laying as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. aandemom

Jun 27, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    The two that are laying are and EE and a Barred Rock. The others are Barred Rock, Ameraucana, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, and a Black Australorp.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sometimes they just take their darn sweet time. I have a barnevelder that hatched 3/21 that I'm still waiting on. Her sister has been laying for months.

6. sparrow hawk

sparrow hawk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Sun Valley, California
    I bought my hens (chicks) in mid-April and they did not start laying until mid-December. They are leghorns,rocks, and RIR's. They all began laying the same week. I changed the feed in early December (brand not protien) and added 5 pounds cracked corn per 20 pounds crumble. Coincidence? IDK, but I get 6 eggs a week from each bird now but it took 8 months.

Add... it looked like they molted around sept/oct, that may be another cause for delay.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. aandemom

Jun 27, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    The ameraucana appears to be molting. She's lost some feathers on her back and around her ears. It doesn't appear that any of the others are picking on her so I'm going with molting. I'll just have to wait it out! I'm just so anxious for them to get started!

8. erinchicknlover

erinchicknlover New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    sometimes the don't have the orgin to produce eggs and they will never lay eggs there called hay-waisters because they use up all of they food and don't return u with something...im guessing that u got hens that were in the same brood and were born like that

9. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

How much light do your hens get in a day, this could affect their laying.

10. sparrow hawk

sparrow hawk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Sun Valley, California
    If it fits in a pot its never a waste of feed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by