Hens are 4 yrs old, not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmb221, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kmb221

kmb221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Shippensburg, PA
    My hens are 4 years old. I have 7 and am lucky to get 2 or 3 eggs a week. Are their laying days over? Not sure what to do.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Four year old hens are getting close to retirement age, but some of it depends on the breed; also their living conditions, i.e., feeding, winter lights or no lights, etc.

3. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    By 4 years old they are pretty much done.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:And season. They may lay more when warmer weather comes, and as the days get longer (if you are in the US [​IMG])

5. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    Mine stopped laying at about that age.

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have one hen that will be 2 in March, and she hasn't laid an egg in 4 months. She used to lay 6 eggs a week, sometimes 7... she'd miss maybe 3-4 days a month! I guess she's all laid out. I miss her pretty green eggs.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have several hens who are 4-6 years old. They are taking longer and longer breaks with each molt, but some of mine are still laying. One bantam Cochin started back laying yesterday after a 7 month break-she'll be 4 in April. By the age of 5, they seem to lay only half the year, maybe slightly more, as long as they aren't laying internally.

8. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I have an eight year old hen who still lays sometimes...yes, their mass production is over, but they probably will lay some more.

9. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    i don't know if this's true, i read threads here on byc that there're some 9-year old hens that are still laying.

but of course not as productive as the earlier years.

im not really sure about that. but laying for that long.. she should really retire by now. [​IMG]

10. chicachic

chicachic Out Of The Brooder

I never realized that 2 to 4 year old chickens are considered retirement age. My chickens always lay eggs although not every day; They share nests so I don't ever know which ones are laying. I figured the cold or extreme heat or even drastic temp changes was what made a difference in the number of eggs I was getting. Whatd'ya know...always learning here on BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by