Hens are Boring; Roosters are far more fun!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stevetone, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Yes, male fowl are far more entertaining, attractive and melodious!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No, female fowl can be just as interesting!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Maybe, it depends

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Just sayin'.

discuss...

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I think both genders are entertaining and I have millions of photos to prove it. [​IMG] Roosters make the noise. The hens get the job done. I've watched my hens stalk and chase squirrels while the rooster crowed about the invasion.

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I like the roosters. They have the color, and the attitude. Mine loves to chase certain people and that makes me laugh. Picture a pre-teen boy in big cowboy boots running away, high stepping, from a big black rooster. They have their little dances and have a huge vocabulary. They make some funny noises. They just don't earn their keep like the hens do. But their entertainment value warrants the keeping of a couple.
    [​IMG]

4. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I've loved every rooster I've owned. Never had a mean one. That's the problem. I hatch eggs thinking that we will just eat any extra rooster but then, they are all so pretty and unique. Crowing at 3 in the morning though, that is not good.
    I don't think hens are boring at all. When they are out free ranging and I call and they all come running? That's great and very funny. There is always one that misses the door back into the run and heads off in the wrong direction. Why is one hen always doing that? Rooster or hen, when I call them and they run toward me, I just love that.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There is nothing in this world like a chicken on a mission, going somewhere at a rapid pace. The sight of a fluffy hen, coming or going, always makes me smile.

The roosters are great to watch in action even if they are silly looking, nondescript silkies. I also love to watch my dominant roo, a 3 year old EE, on a dust-bathing break with his favorite hens.

A hen with chicks - nobody trumps that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by