Hens are Coughing and sounds like they've got fluids!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenandsheepgal, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chickenandsheepgal

chickenandsheepgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    Florida
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) I have acouple of Australorp replacement pullets that I got from a hatchery to raise and sell when they're older.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. They are coughing after they cluck and sound like they have fluids somewhere in them that shouldn't be!!!
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About a week
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Just these pullets, and one other Polish pullet that we had.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water as normal and chick starter from a local mill that is reputable.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Vit-Tal vitamin supplement in water once.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Housed in a 3 x 5 foot cage with bedding underneath on our porch!

Please help! Is there any type of medicine I can get to help my poor girls???? I'm also supposed to be takign some of them to donate to youth for sale at a local fair in March. I love my girls and dont want to dissapoint [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely you are dealing with a possible respiratory disease. You can use tylan 50 injectable to treat them. Dosage is 1/2cc injected into the breast for 3 consecutive days for adult sized birds, 1/4cc for bantam sized birds.
    Make sure you angle the needle so you inject just under the skin, and not deep in the muscle tissue. You will need to use a large needle on your syringe due to the solution thickness of the tylan. (20 to 22 gauge needle works best.)
    Make sure you inject in a different spot each day. It's best to alternate breast when injecting.
    Tylan can be purchased at most feed stores, over the counter in the cattle section. Dont eat the eggs after treatment for at least 5 days after the last injection.
    You can also dose them orally with tylan 50. The dosage is the same as injecting. Dose them orally for 5 days instead of 3 days, it takes longer to absorb into their system when swallowed. Pull their wattles down and their mouth will open, have your preloaded syringe ready to slowly squirt it in the mouth, release the wattles and let the bird swallow the liquid on her own. Once you see improvement, continue treatment to completion, but no longer than the 3 or 5 day treatment period.
    Since it's a possible respiratory disease, I wouldnt donate sick birds to be sold at a fair, even after treatment. Birds with respiratory diseases remain carriers and can spread it to other birds. It's best that you maintain a closed flock and practice biosecurity. Here's a link to respiratory diseases: It seems the two main diseases that are currently prevelent are Infectious Coryza and
    Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) Scroll down to these two diseases and read about them. You can also read the other diseases that are similar if you wish.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Also, how old are these birds? They are being kept on your Porch.... if young do they still have a light etc...?

4. chickenandsheepgal

Aug 16, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you for the replies!

I have gotten the Tylan 50 and gave them their first doses a little while ago. Should I be giving them shots 1 or 2 times a day? I read once a day here and have seen twice a day in other places. How long will it take to clear this stuff up??? I love my girls and hate to see them sick.

They are about 4 months old and are off the light. The porch has plenty of light for them.

Also should I be giving the Tylan to my other hens whom I've moved from the others?

Thanks for the help [​IMG] I apprieciate it [​IMG]

5. chickenandsheepgal

Aug 16, 2010
    Florida
    One more thing:

Can the Tylan 50 injectible medication be dissolved in their waterer and be drank??? I don't have local access to the powder. If so, how much should I be giving per gallon?

Thanks.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend that you give it to them orally, undiluted. Please read my post above for dosage. Use a syringe without a needle. Pull the wattles down, her mouth will open. Squirt it in the mouth and release the wattles so she can swallow it on her own. Do this once a day for no more than 5 days.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Correction: You can use the needle to withdraw from the small bottle AND give her the tylan orally using the needle. Just got to be careful and not accidently poke her. You can still do this by pulling the wattles down and releasing them once the tylan is squirted in her mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by