Hens are dry and raw at base of wings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kduncan, Dec 17, 2010.

1. kduncan

kduncan New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    East Orlando Fl
    In one of my coops, I have one Rhode Island red rooster with 4 hens. One hen is a Gold Laced Wyndotte and the other three are Rhode Islands.

My problem is... The three hens have raw spots on the tops of their wings at eh back area. I found no bugs. I figured it was from my rooster gettin frisky, so I popped off his huge spurs.

I thought this would let my hens heal, but they are still raw with bald spots on the base of the wings. Is there any kind of special ointment to promote the feathers to grow

and keep their skin moist? Kimberley in Wedgefield:rolleyes:

2. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    I have had hens who never did grow back completely after having their backs rubbed bald by a rooster. Those who do grow back can take a VERY LONG TIME! The only thing that I could offer as help would be to offer some high protein snacks while they are working so hard to grow in feathers; yogurt, cat food, alfalfa, etc.....

3. kduncan

kduncan New Egg

Nov 3, 2010
    East Orlando Fl
    Thank you. I was wondering why it was taking so long for my girls to get their feathers to grow in. What do you think of mineral oil or vaseline on the raw area? It's weird too, cuz my Wyndotte is fine. Big Red must not be interested in her. That would also explain my non-fertile dud eggs from her when I hatched my new babies. I geuss red likes hi own type. RI reds. LOL [​IMG]

4. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Oh gosh, there's something at the back of my mind about letting the broken feather shafts dry out so that you can pull them out easily without damaging the feather growth area. ??? Something along those lines, but if there is blood, you should watch that the other birds don't start to peck at it or that there is no infection brewing.

"It's weird too, cuz my Wyndotte is fine. Big Red must not be interested in her. That would also explain my non-fertile dud eggs from her when I hatched my new babies. I geuss red likes his own type. RI reds. LOL"

[​IMG] Isn't it baffling sometimes!? I have a turken hen who I think is just the ugliest thing that I've ever seen (fantastic momma though) and she just drives those roosters crazy! They go giddy for her, fight each other over her. I've had to isolate her more than once because she tends so often to get her feathers rubbed off, poor dear. I can't figure it out for anything.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He needs more hens so that he can spread the action around. A rooster that size wears the feathers off as he grips with his feet. Spurs and toenails tend to cause gashes on the hens' sides rather than feather loss. If you really want them to regrow their feathers, it will probably be necessary to seperate out the rooster. If you want fertile eggs, allow him conjugal visits.[​IMG]

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Will new feathers grow in before the next molt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by