Hens are Fighting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have 7 chickens. They are all approximately the same age (one is a couple years older), and have all been together since Mar/Apr. They've all gotten along really well.

Tonight, my dh has been putting heating tape on our waterer. He came back after a half hour, and Clover, the oldest of the group (by 3 weeks) was bleeding. It's mainly her comb, but a small patch on her side just behind her wing. She's acting normally. She was also one of the higher ups in the pecking order, but they all seemed to get along so well that I haven't really seen them ever peck at each other.

It's going to be really, really cold tonight (into the 20s), and I am afraid that if I separate her, she'll freeze to death alone.

Is this a small tussle, or should I separate her from the group, knowing that she'd be along in a little tractor that has no heat?

2. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I think she will be ok. I would check on her first thing in the morning.

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    would like toknow this also.

4. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Not that I don't trust your opinion, Catterbug, but I really wish more people would weigh in on this.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Spray Blue Kote on her wounds and check on her tomorrow morning. I don't know why they all of a sudden started picking on her. I have one that is blind in one eye and does get picked on. She stays in the coop most of the day. I bought a Flock Block for them to peck at and I think it has helped.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I wouldn't leave one with a bloody wound alone with the others. They might wake up early!

You could put her in a small cage and wrap plastic around most of it. That will retain her body heat.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You can put some blue kote on the part that was bleeding. But since it's not that bad I wouldn't seperate her. Just check on her in the morning like others suggested.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Are you sure this was a pecking order injury, and not a predator attack (e.g., a grab through attempt)?

9. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    She was only bleeding from the very tip of her comb. Seems to me that would be pecking order.

In addition, there was a light dusting of snow on the ground, and the only visible prints are my husband's and mine.

Still dark outside, so I haven't gone to check on them.

10. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, her comb has scabbed over, however they started picking on her again this morning. There's two spots on her body that are bleeding, and her comb looked a bit pale.

I felt like she was in danger of being picked to death, so I moved her over to my little chicken tractor.

However, I'm worried about the weather. The tiny nesting area isn't insulated, and we're supposed to have a huge blizzard hit this afternoon. It's too heavy for me to move, so I can't move it closer to the house where I could hook a light up to it to provide heat until my husband gets home from work.

She also seems to be very upset to be separated from the group. I wish I could move it to where it would but up against the regular chicken run. That way, she could be close to them.

Is there anything more I can do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by