Hens are laying but we get one egg-with-hole-in-it every day. Why???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jophoto, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jophoto

jophoto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    Every day, one of the eggs has a hole in it. It has a hole (I guess it has been pecked?) right where the "air pocket" in the egg is. There's never egg white or yolk hanging out, just a hole...

any clue why this is happening?

2. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    One of your girls is the culprit. Could be from just moving it out of the way to make room for hers. My black australorp will do that, too, just to one hen's egg. I try to get out there right away after they start laying in the morning.

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they do it out of curiosity or in the effort to move it.

My neighbor had that happening when the second of her two hens started laying. The hen did it to the other chicken's egg when she went in to the nest box, but never to her own. They solved the problem by adding another nest box. Now both hens have their own and they have no more holes.

I keep a few stone eggs in each of our nests and have never had a problem. I guess when or if one of my hens tried pecking, it was too hard to bother with.

Another way it can also be fixed is with a nest that the eggs roll out of.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. jophoto

jophoto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    Thank you, I will get stone eggs! [​IMG] I have eight nesting boxes, and they keep wanting to go in the same nest... it's ridiculous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by