hens are laying rotten eggs

sog1997

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
My sister gets dozens of eggs from me and last week let me know 1 was rotten. Black, stink that caused to her vomit. Explained that it sort of exploded. We chalked it up to maybe the egg was in the coop for a long time and I gathered it without realizing it was from past. This week she has cracked 4 rotten eggs. The only thing different right now with the hen is the molt. I have had molting chickens each year and this is the only time rotten eggs have been in conjunction. No change in food or water, or environment. I keep a clean coop ( I wouldn't eat off the floor, still it is pretty clean). Nesting boxes are also clean. I collect about every 3-4 days right now because they are laying so few. No matter though. I have kept eggs on the counter for weeks and they have never been rotten. I little internet search is a terrible thing. Worst case treatment being cull the flock. If, IF they are sick and cannot be treated I have no problem with that. However, if there is a treatment I am all for that as well. My search online basically leads to bacterial or fungal infections. Most seemingly from coming in contact with an external germ. That is not going to be the case here. I am currently leaning to treating the whole flock with an antibiotic and seeing if it changes. My biggest concern is: it is not going to work, and the next concern is I will be the one to crack a rotten egg and I am terrified of having that experience!!:sick Thank you for any words of wisdom.:)

It's...well, my family's always accepted it as something that just sometimes happens.

I've seen explanations involving acorns and other foods that turn egg yolks green/brown, but those always fell a bit flat--the eggs are definitely disgusting and rotten.

The other explanation is that the eggs come from a chicken with an internal infection. This seems more plausible to me.

You could try candling the eggs before you eat them, or figuring out which hen it is and taking her to a vet.

My sister gets dozens of eggs from me and last week let me know 1 was rotten. Black, stink that caused to her vomit. Explained that it sort of exploded. We chalked it up to maybe the egg was in the coop for a long time and I gathered it without realizing it was from past. This week she has cracked 4 rotten eggs. The only thing different right now with the hen is the molt. I have had molting chickens each year and this is the only time rotten eggs have been in conjunction. No change in food or water, or environment. I keep a clean coop ( I wouldn't eat off the floor, still it is pretty clean). Nesting boxes are also clean. I collect about every 3-4 days right now because they are laying so few. No matter though. I have kept eggs on the counter for weeks and they have never been rotten. I little internet search is a terrible thing. Worst case treatment being cull the flock. If, IF they are sick and cannot be treated I have no problem with that. However, if there is a treatment I am all for that as well. My search online basically leads to bacterial or fungal infections. Most seemingly from coming in contact with an external germ. That is not going to be the case here. I am currently leaning to treating the whole flock with an antibiotic and seeing if it changes. My biggest concern is: it is not going to work, and the next concern is I will be the one to crack a rotten egg and I am terrified of having that experience!!:sick Thank you for any words of wisdom.:)
I'm slightly unsure about what you've mentioned. You said that your sister is getting dozens of eggs from you, but your hens aren't laying many eggs. I'm not sure how both are possible unless you are keeping eggs for an extended time. If you hold onto eggs, even with a very tiny unseen crack...that egg can rot in a short amount of time. Another possibility is do you have a broody hen setting on eggs that are sitting in the coop?

If it was me, I'd gather every last egg in the entire coop. Then I'd gather the eggs every day and break them to see the contents. A few days of collecting and you will know exactly what's happening with no cost involved other than the opened eggs. And you can feed those to your pets, so it's no real loss.

If no rotten eggs show up...you'll know it's not your hens.:)

I agree with wicked! Do a daily collect and check test for about a week and see what turns up! That will help you eliminate any questions on whether its your hens or not! Good luck and report back!!! :pop

Me either. Gonna see who else chimes in here. I collect every day and usually as soon as I hear the egg song.
:caf
It does actually happen because this is happening to me and I watched one of my chickens lay today, cracked it, and it was rotten. So it does happen! I think it’s some sort of infection. Most people work and don’t have the time to watch their chickens lay all day long so I can relate. Can you update us on this? What did you find out and what did you try?

It does actually happen because this is happening to me and I watched one of my chickens lay today, cracked it, and it was rotten. So it does happen! I think it’s some sort of infection. Most people work and don’t have the time to watch their chickens lay all day long so I can relate. Can you update us on this? What did you find out and what did you try?
You received a reply on the other thread - you can find it here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rotten-egg-laying.1493902/post-25221125

Back
Top Bottom