Hens Are Molting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerBoy24, Sep 8, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I have a few questions on hens molting. When DO THEY STOP?? hahaha about how long does it usually take for them to lay eggs again? Also is there anything I can do to speed this up? Thanks

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A quality answer may need to consider breed involved and how kept. Some of my birds (American games and red jungle fowl) started molt back in June about time days started getting shorter and will not have last of feathers in until late November / early December. My dominiques started only a month or so ago and will be rapped up by late October. .My free range birds seem to keep laying through at least early stages of molt while my cooped dominiques are largely shut down.

3. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I have a LARGE variety. some Mixed, Bo,Br,RIH,BA,Amerucana,wyandotte,Leghorn, and some other egg laying breeds.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I have seen only barred rock and leghorns molt. They are of the fast molting mode like dominiques were described. Others may have to chime in on the larger breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by