hens are nesting but not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by houndhunter10, Feb 7, 2012.

1. houndhunter10

houndhunter10 New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    North, SC
    hey yall. i am very new to raising chickens. i have had my little flock for almost 2 weeks now. I have 4 one year old hens and a year old rooster. last week i got 5 eggs in the first 3 days but now they have stopped laying. they go in their boxes and nest down but dont lay. we have introdeced a 4 and a half month and a 9 month old hen to them this week and the weather keeps jumping from cold to warm.... just wondering if that was having an effect on them not laying. We havent gotten an egg in about 5 days now????
    Thanks for looking and any feedback would be great!

2. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Change is stressful to chickens. Most likely the eggs you got in the beginning were ones arleady in the making...it will take them a little while to get adjusted to their new home. Plus you added two new chickens - more change.

Give them a chance to settle in and they should be fine. It could take a week, it could take several weeks, depends on the chickens. Try to keep everything else a routine so they adjust more quickly.

3. houndhunter10

houndhunter10 New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    North, SC
    ok thank you.... but them nesting and acting like they are trying to lay but not laying is normal if they have been stressed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by