Hens are not going into hen house

kschicks2013

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Fernley, Nevada
Hi, I have 6 hens (3 Buff Barred Rocks and 3 Iowa Blues). I was told when I purchased them they were hatched in March or April.....I just got them a week ago. I've noticed they do not go into their hen house. They stay in the basement of the hen house or in the large enclosure I have the coops in. I know they go up in the hen house because I see poop in there, but they don't spend much time in there at all. As they get closer to laying age will they then spend more time inside the house? The next boxes are in there and there is a place for them to roost inside as well.

Thanks for the help.

During the day chickens would rather be outside than inside the house. They will go in to lay their eggs and roost at night but like a shaded outdoor place during the day. Mine hang out under our bushes and pine trees. They go to the nest boxes to lay and put themselves to bed in the evening. All I have to do is shut the door.

During the day chickens would rather be outside than inside the house. They will go in to lay their eggs and roost at night but like a shaded outdoor place during the day. Mine hang out under our bushes and pine trees. They go to the nest boxes to lay and put themselves to bed in the evening. All I have to do is shut the door.
x2

Is the problem that your hens aren't using the sleeping quarters to roost at night? If that's the case, they may not know that's where they are supposed to sleep.

Most of us, when we get new chicks or adult chickens is to enclose them in the sleeping coop for at least a day and a night, two days are even better. Make sure they have food and water. This way it's imprinted on them that this is "home" and it's where they can sleep safely at night.

If you do this, it should solve your problem.

Thanks to all that replied. They finally figured it out and are roosting in the hen house. During the day they are outside in the enclosure (run) which has shade as well as sunshine. They hang out in the enclosure under the nest box overhang and also under the hen house in the basement. It took them a few days to figure out they could go into the hen house and roost there at night. All is peaceful and fine now.

Back
Top Bottom