Hens are not laying eggs... Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GiGiGable, Jan 6, 2017.

1. GiGiGable

GiGiGable New Egg

Jan 6, 2017
    I have 28 hens, eight are 16 months old, they are Olive Eggers, Rhode Island Reds, French Copper Marans, Buff Orphingtons, and Barred Rock. I also have 7 hens that were born in May, so new layers. The other hens are Splash Cochins, born in July, Lavender Orphingtons, born August 1, 2016. I am getting 3-4 eggs per day! I have them in two coops, feed them crumbles from Tractor Supply, they are warm, have water, plenty of food, aren't threatened by predators. I was getting 9-10 eggs until a month ago. The only thing I've changed is I've stopped letting them free range almost everyday due to them getting in a neighbors yard and digging in his grass. Any ideas?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It very well could be that they got stressed out being limited from their free ranging but it could just be the winter months and cold weather! :)

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, it's perfectly normal and natural for them to stop laying this time of year.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Also, your Cochins and the August Orpingtons are too young to be laying yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by