Hens are out now..Pic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    They finally came out but still don't like the snow. They wouldn't come out when it was snowing but now that is stopped they came out. I tried throwing scratch in the snow but they didn't fall for it, I had to toss it in bare spots. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    [​IMG] They stayed on the perimiter patio blocks squacking the first day. It took a couple days for ours to decide that snow isn't completely evil.

Now they'll venture across the snow, but don't really like it. After a couple hours we see them alternating standing on one foot, then the other, to warm them up.

[​IMG]

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Our girls are hating to walk on the snow or ice -- don't even like to be out in the run much. Just hanging out in the coop and covered, enclosed pen area. Until we got our first inch of snow, they would happily run around the yard and free range. They couldn't wait to get out of the pen and run. 18 inches of snow and blizzard conditions forecasted for the next 36 hours.

It's going to be a long long winter. [​IMG]

4. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    My birds (australorp, dominique, unknown) have no problem getting out in the snow once it stops falling. I think they just love wandering around aimlessly in the snow for fun. Very funny to see were they actually go during the day free ranging by following there tracks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by