1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens are pecking Rooster~ bleeding~ HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angiegirl, Nov 12, 2011.

1. angiegirl

angiegirl Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    I have 13 hens & a rooster.. I noticed the other day the hens were pecking at him above his tail. After looking closer I noticed a bump there on his back & feathers are coming out.. Today I noticed they he is bleeding where they are pecking him.. My kids are VERY attached to this rooster.. Not sure what I can do to save him.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
    BTW, I do not know alot about chickens, as this is our first flock we have ever had and a few of them have just started to lay eggs...
    Angie

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Get some BlueKote and spray that red area as soon as possible or the hens will keep picking at him. If necessary, remove him until you get it covered.

3. TheLadyChickens

TheLadyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Williamston, MI
    Awww poor guy! I would remove him and keep him in your garage or a safe place until it heals. Chickens love pecking sores and injuries on other birds and can cause infections, etc. Then you can reintroduce him at night when they are all roosting! [​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Are the hens older than he is?

I would get some pickaway rub on ointment. It tastes nasty, so it works.

5. angiegirl

angiegirl Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    They are all the same age.. I have a separate run right beside the one they all stay in that is still under construction ( doesn't have a top covering).. But no coop in there for him to roost at night.. Do you think he would be ok in there to stay at night?

6. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Can you put him in a pet carrier or something in there? With food/water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by