hens are plucking roo's neck feathers...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by corrae, Dec 14, 2009.

1. corrae

corrae Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    I've never quite seen anything like this: My hens are literally henpecking my rooster! He stands there, quietly minding his own business, a hen walks up, tilts her head as if to pick the juiciest feather--and *wham* she plucks out a neck feather or two and gobbles it up..... I'm feeding them 16%layer, scratch and cracked corn, as well as leftovers from the house, which includes greens and meat scraps. Anyone have any advice as to what's going on and how to stop it? The girls don't pick on each other, just the poor hapless roo.

2. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having a similar issue. I have seen that one of my roos was bleeding last weekend (I thought from the occasional rooster squabble) so I cleaned him up and went about my business.

Yesterday I went to check on the birds and noticed he was bleeding again. I also witnessed a hen pecking at the base of his comb. It was bleeding again. Not sure what to do with this either.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    They need more protein. I had this happen to my serama roosters, they'd no sooner start growing back and the hens would pluck them right out and eat them again. I upped their protein by giving them gamebird feed which is 17% protein and added scrambled eggs to their diet every few days, it seemed to do the trick.

4. corrae

May 25, 2009
    I sure hope someone has a solution for this--it's very strange... Why do they pick on the roo and not each other? And why does he let them? I'm wondering if they're missing something in their diet..... any suggestions everybody?

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:If the hens see blood they will continue to pick at him. I'd clean him up good and apply blucoat to his wounds and again try giving them more protein to see if that makes a difference

6. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:They are "grooming" the rooster a little too much and he is taking it. I truely believe it is a protein issue or lack of vitamins. You could try putting vitamins and electrolytes in their water on top of giving them a little more protein and see if that makes a difference

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Also cut the scratch way back.

8. corrae

May 25, 2009
    Thanks everyone..... I guess feeding chickens is a lot more involved than I realized. I'll cut back on scratch and up the protein a bit. That and put the black slave stuff on the roo's neck feathers... He's going to be bald there soon if I don't get with it. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by