hens are very docile when on the roost at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bwknight877, Aug 30, 2010.

1. bwknight877

bwknight877 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    When I go out every night to check on my chickens, they are all very docile when they are sitting on the roost. Normally I cant go right up and pet each and every one of them, but when they sit on their roost they don't seem to mind.

Are all chickens this silly?

2. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Most definitely! [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They sure are! Mine are exactly like that.....I go into the coop at night, do my head count, and it talk to them and pet each one briefly. There are a few who I can't really get near during the day, but at night I can pet them. LOVE IT!

4. HenniePennie2

HenniePennie2 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, chickens are docile at night. They are blind in the semi to full dark. That is the reason for adding to your flock (with new girls or boy) at night. In the morning it's sort of like the original girls saying ....oh gosh, I don't remember her/them here before, but okay. To keep my girls home and not at the neighbors visiting their chickens I clip my girls wings at night. Much easier that way.
    [​IMG]

5. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    They go into a sort of stupor at night while they sleep. [​IMG] This is also why if you have ones you cannot get during the day you can check them for mites, lice or other malady at night. Try not to disturb them often as they do need a good sleep. It is also another reason to be sure they are locked up tight at night as they can be easily killed by predators--and they cannot see well in the dark either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by