Hens aren't eating layer feed

Hootenchickens

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2016
Hey, I have 4 laying hens around 8 months old. For stone reason they haven't ate any feed the last 2days. When I let them out they eat grass and bugs like they're starving but there feed is still full. They have grit and get some scraps. The only change is we have started giving them some corn now that the weather's getting cold but they aren't really eating that either. Any advice? I thought they would eat more with the cold weather?

Hey, I have 4 laying hens around 8 months old. For stone reason they haven't ate any feed the last 2days. When I let them out they eat grass and bugs like they're starving but there feed is still full. They have grit and get some scraps. The only change is we have started giving them some corn now that the weather's getting cold but they aren't really eating that either. Any advice? I thought they would eat more with the cold weather?

Be Happy! They will eat the feed when they have too, right now they are foraging and doing better than they would on the feed. Up here above the artic circle they are not foraging much so I am feeding a ton of feed, I prefer summer when they eat for free.

Skip the corn it is mainly a treat too much corm can cause problems in later life.

Last edited:
Hi.
frow.gif

Are they laying? If they are free range, you don't have to buy grit. They will get it naturally from the ground.

Hi. :frow

Are they laying? If they are free range, you don't have to buy grit. They will get it naturally from the ground.

They only free range about hour a day. We have a section of fence out due to construction so I don't like leaving them out long. I don't know if that makes a difference?

I wouldnt worry just yet! They might just no be in the mood. My chickens free rang and they eat a little feed in the morning but she me days they just don't want it. When I get worried they aren't eating enough I cook them some meat. We are hunters so deer meat is in high supply for us. They go crazy for it and the protein is great and keeps their laying on track all through the winter.

Check around for a reason why the birds are refusing to eat their feed. Is the feeder clean? No moldy feed? Do they have easy access to the feeder? Is it in area that they don’t want to go into? Is the feeder placed in a corner or is it out in the open? Are your birds fighting with each other? Has something changed in the environment that might be stressing your birds while they are in their coop? Do they have access to water?

Without water, the birds won’t eat. See if you notice anything out of the ordinary around the feeder and the coop that is stressing the birds. If nothing is obvious, then I would recommend leaving them in the coop and not providing them with any other feed items until they return to eating their layer feed. They may have discovered something outside of the coop that they enjoy eating more than their layer feed. Your hens should be eating more as the weather gets colder.

Wish chickens could TALK! I was give my 5 Wynadottes when they were 28wks, told they'll be laying soon so keep them on Layer. I bought DuMor Layer & ferment. They're 34wks, still not laying and have read on BYC that putting them on layer before they lay may not be such a good idea. Decided to put them on Flock Raiser (FF) although I still have some layer in the event they lay & I can't get to the feed store. They've been on it for a few days, loved it but now not eating like they used to (barely). In a bit of a panic here.

Funny part is if I feed them from my hand they'll eat it. I've stopped all treats :( and now will check the expiration date on the FR. Any other ideas? What should I feed them?

Have used Home Grown No Corn No Soy Layer & Multi Flock in the past, this was the first time using DuMor & Flock Raiser which seems to be corn based :( Read corn is a treat not nutrition? HELP?

Back
Top Bottom