Hens ate an EGG! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyClucker7, Oct 1, 2016.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    Hi!

So I was just down in my coop, when I saw some weird slime coming from my Barred Rock's vent. She kept going into corners and she was walking strange. then suddenly, she laid a jelly egg. Then before I could stop her, my Australorp grabbed the egg ripped it open and started eating it! Then, all of my chickens started grabbing for the egg and all of them got a piece of it. Will they get addicted? If yes then, what can I do to stop them from eating there own egg. Also, why was my Barred Rock acting so strange, and what was that slime? Can any one answer any of these questions?

Thank you so much!

2. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    They could get addicted, I would try putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes and collect the eggs quite often. The stuff coming from the BRs butt could have been off the egg since it didn't have a shell but I'm not for sure. Hope someone else can help.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably had a shell-less egg break open inside. The hens' behavior was fairly normal, since they have probably seen and eaten a soft shelled egg before. Since they instintctively peck at everything in front of them, this happens often. It can become a habit. Make sure they are receiving a layer feed, and put out crushed oyster shell or crumbled egg shells free choice to take extra calcium as they need it to help make egg shells hard. Getting out to free range can help prevent this, but some hens will check out the nests routinely for an easy snack.

1 person likes this.
  4. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016

I am feeding them layer feed and they have oystershells so I don't know why she layed a jelly egg. This is not the first jelly egg I've found. I'm not sure if it was the same chicken or a different one.

I went outside this mornig and found two eggs in the nesting box. They were normal and didn't seem to have been pecked at. I'm just going to collect often and pray they don't think they can have one of their eggs as a snack! [​IMG]

5. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Good Luck! :)

6. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    So, I got five eggs this morning and not a single peck. Could this be, because it was a jelly egg and my girls don't know that it is the same thing? Well, what ever reason, I'm just glad that there is no problem.[​IMG]

7. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    This is very normal, Most hens will eat soft or broken eggs, they don't get the habit of eating intact eggs. If you have egg eater by any chance, make the nesting box dark and keep tough fake eggs in it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by