Hens ate rat bait (bromadiolone). Will the eggs be safe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dboy4ever, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dboy4ever

dboy4ever New Egg

Jun 6, 2014
    Northern California
    EDIT: The poison is diphacinone, NOT bromadiolone as I first thought.

Hi all,

I have 7 Rhode Island Reds. They are about 17 weeks and will start laying in about a month. Recently we put rat bait (Tom Cat Chunx, active ingredient diphacinone) out to control the rats. This morning I saw that the chickens somehow managed to get a bait out of the bait station and were pecking at it. They had consumed about 2/3 of the bait.

I don't know which chicken have ate the poison and which have not. Now I'm guessing some of my chickens will die. But for those that don't die, will their eggs be safe when they start laying in a month? Or should I just kill all 7 of them now and replace the whole flock?

I really hate to kill the whole flock being so close to laying. But we have two small children and I don't want to take any chances. Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I suggest contacting your veterinarian as soon as possible. Bromadiolone ingestion is treated with Vitamin K injection so you may not need to consider killing the flock at all. The veterinarian will also be able to help you determine if future eggs will be impacted and for how long.
    Good Luck!

3. dboy4ever

dboy4ever New Egg

Jun 6, 2014
    Northern California
    Thank you Denwendairy.

The active ingredient is diphacinone actually. My biggest concern is whether the eggs will be safe? Called a bird vet but she didn't give a clear answer.

4. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    My second suggestion is that you contact Motomco directly. They may not be able to give you a direct answer but they might know where you can get it. They are out of Wisconsin and their customer service line is 1-800-418-9242/608-244-2904. Their website is www.motomco.com

I hope they can help! Good Luck!

5. dboy4ever

dboy4ever New Egg

Jun 6, 2014
    Northern California
    Thank you! I bought some Vitamin K1 and will continue to do research. It seems that the hens and the eggs may be OK. I may not have to slaughter them after all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by