Hens attacking established roo

HudsonHatchery

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2023
Michigan
we added 5 chickens to our existing 3 hens last fall. Kept 2 pullets and one cockerel. He is just reaching maturity (crowing, enlarged waddles/combs) and is trying to mount the three older females. The two that have been laying seem okay with his behavior but the third has been brutally attacking him. I can see that she has a wound near her eye and so does he. She is a maran/langshan and is just as large as he is. Absolutely will not take his sh*t or let him mount her ladies. I would say she is top of the pecking order because of her size but has never shown aggression towards her two flock mates. She’s a year in April and still hasn’t laid anything. I am fine with culling/rehoming him if necessary with new breeds hatching this spring. But we’ve had a hawk problem and wouldn’t mind him sticking around until June. Will they get over themselves or keep at it until someone’s really hurt? Any advice?
F0CBD80E-E148-4234-B3E2-9877311E37DD.jpeg

Attachments

• EDBE4D6D-D332-4B57-BFEA-77701DEDAB22.jpeg
    EDBE4D6D-D332-4B57-BFEA-77701DEDAB22.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC. It's not really relevant to this topic, but if you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

She’s a year in April and still hasn’t laid anything.

Personally, if I had a well-behaved rooster who fit my criteria for breeding and a hen who hadn't laid at 10 months old who was fighting him I'd probably get rid of the freeloader hen and keep the good rooster.

Welcome to BYC. It's not really relevant to this topic, but if you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

Personally, if I had a well-behaved rooster who fit my criteria for breeding and a hen who hadn't laid at 10 months old who was fighting him I'd probably get rid of the freeloader hen and keep the good rooster.
I added my location 😊 she is the only one left from my original flock and my favorite (of course). We had a dog attack and she somehow hid in my garage and lived! We are in a colder area so I’m hoping with the longer days ahead she starts dropping some eggs for us! He is a beautiful full maran. I’ll push for a rehome before any culling is done.

I added my location 😊 she is the only one left from my original flock and my favorite (of course). We had a dog attack and she somehow hid in my garage and lived! We are in a colder area so I’m hoping with the longer days ahead she starts dropping some eggs for us! He is a beautiful full maran. I’ll push for a rehome before any culling is done.

Hopefully she'll be more in the mood for romance when lengthening spring days trigger her hormones.

Back
Top Bottom