Hens attacking rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicklife1, Mar 1, 2017.

1. chicklife1

chicklife1 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Alright so I need some advice! One small hen that I know of, maybe more have been bullying one of the roosters, he is bigger than they are but the hen(s) are pecking him and being very aggressive towards him. Now he is limping around and secluding himself... I've never seen him peck at our hens or be aggressive. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? He is not new to the flock. Any advice welcome. Thanks!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sounds like a younger rooster with some older ladies?? If so I would separate until he gets some more size and understands he has to be the Boss.

3. chicklife1

chicklife1 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    He is only a couple weeks younger than them and about double the hens size. Haven't had a problem this whole time until now :( we have two other roosters in the same pen that don't give him any trouble so I'm confused as to why a hen has found an issue with him... and just now as they have been together since they were really little

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Is he /them young---5, 6, 7 months old? Being honest I would remove him if they are picking on him----I have had that to happen, then I put him back with them in a few weeks and his attitude had changed---he would not allow them to pick on him. I do not know your set-up but I have many pens and cages---I use the bigger dog crates people use in their home to house a single chicken in.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. chicklife1

chicklife1 Just Hatched

Dec 5, 2016
    Yea they are all between 6-7 months. We put him in a dog crate today when we noticed him limping, didn't want him getting hurt worse. Was going to keep him seperated till he heals

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by