Hens attacking Rooster

elcee18

Hatching
Apr 23, 2018
We had 2 roosters who suddenly did not get along, the one rooster was beating up on the other. We rehomed the aggressive one and everything seemed fine with the remaining hens and rooster. But now the hens are pecking and attacking the poor rooster. We separated him from the girls but what should we do???

We had 2 roosters who suddenly did not get along, the one rooster was beating up on the other. We rehomed the aggressive one and everything seemed fine with the remaining hens and rooster. But now the hens are pecking and attacking the poor rooster. We separated him from the girls but what should we do???
:welcome

A bit more information would be helpful. How old is the rooster? And the hens? How many hens? Have they drawn blood on him? How are they housed? Do they free range, or live in a run? The more you tell us, the better we can help.

I had a similar issue where a Rooster started getting Hen Pecked, turned out he was injured and could no longer defend himself. I put him in with the bantams until he healed up and had confidence again and then he returned to the flock. He has been very rough with the ladies ever since, previously he was a bit of a gentleman rooster.

A bit more information would be helpful. How old is the rooster? And the hens? How many hens? Have they drawn blood on him? How are they housed? Do they free range, or live in a run? The more you tell us, the better we can help.

They are all 2 years old next month. We have 20 hens. They have drawn blood. They live in a very large run.

Chickens know more about being a chicken that you or I can learn in a lifetime. But I can assure you that re-homing or culling a hen or rooster because that hen or rooster is an alpha hen or rooster is in my opinion a strategy that is sure to fail in the long term. It is much much better to re-home or cull the hen or rooster that is getting all the negative attention and let your remaining chickens be chickens instead of trying to make nuns or friars out of hens and roosters in an attempt to shoe horn into a flock of chickens an unsustainable or realistic human view of nature or the world.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom