hens back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NeeCee51, Sep 7, 2015.

1. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    One of my hens has a very sore looking back. The feathers are gone, you can see her skin and it is really red. I assume it's from the rooster getting on her so much. Is there anything you can recommend to put on it? It looks really sore..Thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would suggest a "hen saddle" -- it provides protective covering against further rooster damage and also protects the exposed skin from pecking and/or sun damage.
    From there, you might want to consider your gender balance and overall environmental considerations that can help/hinder in addressing over-mating.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    BluKote or Nustock may be useful to hide the red skin to keep the others from pecking her. Separate the rooster for now. You can look online for patterns of hen saddles, and I have made some easy no-sew saddles from a piece of polar fleece with 2 slits for wing holes.

4. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    I have been looking at them and I think she would wear a medium. Do you recommend anything to protect her skin for now? Thanks so much..

5. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    I have found them online and am going to order her one. I should get a few just in case. I was hoping there was something I could put on her skin to protect it till I get the saddle. Thanks so much...

6. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.

One of my hens had the same problem. The vet prescribed Zymox Topical Spray HC 1.0% to be applied 1-2 Xs a day. I recently found it on Amazon.com for much cheaper than what the vet charged. I think it was somewhere around $13.00. It won't so much protect it as it will aid in the healing. Hope this helps.

7. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks so much..I will get some of that. I feel so bad for her. My rooster doesn't know it yet but he is going to be without hens for a while...

8. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    You are welcome! I know what you mean. It's sad to see them like that. Our rooster has 11 hens but for some reason he just loves our RIR the most. Our experience with the Zymox has been great! She's almost completely feathered in with no bald spots. Don't be surprised if she doesn't like it, though. Dr says it stings a bit. Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes.

9. SemperChicken

SemperChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    We had this problem with our bantam who was getting picked on. We had isolated her for several weeks to where her back was completely healed and feathers came back in full. She seems to be doing well with the group again.

It's going to take a lot of time for it to heal... Just do your best to treat it and isolate her if you have to.

10. NeeCee51

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks so much, I will do that..she won't like it but I don't want her to be in pain...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by