Hens backs are bare-no feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wsquared, Feb 2, 2009.

1. wsquared

wsquared New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Can someone please tell me if our rooster is responsible for the bare backs on our hens? My hens are about 10 months old and the rooster is the same age. We have one RIR rooster and 5 hens. The barred rock hen and the americauna hen have bare backs but the RIR hens do not. Is this something to do with the breed? Any suggestions?

I really appreciate all of you knowledgeable and experienced chicken owners out there! [​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    yeah he is !! It happens when they are trying to mate . Seperate the roo from the hens

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

More than likely he's responsible. The 2 with the barest back are probably his favorites. You could put chicken saddles on them to protect them or get more hens.

4. pacountrygirl

pacountrygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'd like to know this too! The rooster can cause this but with hens that don't know to "hold still for him". [​IMG] However, I know longer have a rooster with them and some of their backs are still bare. Also, some of them look like their going bald...is this considered molting?

5. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:Or get a different roo [​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:yups

7. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    so THAT'S what chicken saddles are for!!! [​IMG]

I've had NO CLUE, but felt too silly to ask!

Every time I see the term, I picture a chicken with a miniature horse saddle giving rides to little toy people.......

8. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Just get saddle's. They're cheap and very effective. A roo is going to do what a roo does which is mate with the females and control social order, and protect. Either seperate or get saddles. You can find good one's on here just search saddle. Good luck.

Chef

9. blackrooster

blackrooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    ky
    its were the roosters been breeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by