Hens beating up cockerel..again

KikiDeAnime

Crowing
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
So we've had Sergeant Hei Hei since June and the hens picked on him for a while until they accepted him into the flock. 3-4 weeks ago he was moving up into the pecking order as some of the hens were submitting to him despite him not getting the mounting thing right(standing on their heads). Yesterday and today I noticed that every time he got close to them, they'd attack him or run him off. He's not even trying to mate with them, he just wants to be near them. Most of the ones attacking, are the ones who were submitting to him.
I didn't change anything aside from moving them into the new coop 2 weeks ago but they were doing fine until yesterday.
I've checked him over, no injuries or blood.
I'm not too sure on his age but I know he's older than 6 months but not quite a year old yet as the lady who gave him to us said he was sexually mature and mating her rooster's hens & pullets before being sent here.
Our hens range 1-3 years.
Everyone free ranges a few times a week.

What caused this sudden change?
Is there a way to solve this without actually interfering?

MarkJr

Change in America begins at the dinner table
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2020
Elkton, OR
When you moved them to new living quarters, you essentially reset the pecking order. They will settle out. As long as he’s not being harmed, a little hen pecking won’t damage anything but his ego. He might even come out better mannered in the end.

KikiDeAnime

Crowing
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
When you moved them to new living quarters, you essentially reset the pecking order. They will settle out. As long as he’s not being harmed, a little hen pecking won’t damage anything but his ego. He might even come out better mannered in the end.
Better mannered? He's always been better mannered.
There's no change in him other than being scared of the hens

MarkJr

Change in America begins at the dinner table
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2020
Elkton, OR
Better mannered? He's always been better mannered.
There's no change in him other than being scared of the hens
Typically a cockerel that has to work his way into the flock is gentler with the hens. They teach him manners, or they kick his butt. No slight was meant about him currently. Give it some time. I believe the move is what has upended the pecking order.

KikiDeAnime

Crowing
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Typically a cockerel that has to work his way into the flock is gentler with the hens. They teach him manners, or they kick his butt. No slight was meant about him currently. Give it some time. I believe the move is what has upended the pecking order.
The lady that gave him to me said he was always gentle with her rooster's hens and pullets.

Top Bottom