Hens beating up one of hens

Sfreshour

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2021
I have 8 hens that have been raised together from 3 days old. One of them, a Silkie, turned out to be a rooster. I started noticing all the hens had their backs scraped raw and their bottoms too. I gave him to a friend. My hens had also cut way down on laying which I think was stress from him ripping their feathers out and making their backs sore. Things have been quiet since he’s been gone and their feathers were growing back. Three days ago when I went to feed I heard a ruckus and one of the hens was attacking another and the poor hen would sink to the ground when she grabbed her neck. I noticed she had lots of feathers pulled out and her comb has been pecked. She wasn’t even allowed to eat the scratch I put out no matter where I sprinkled it. She went into the coop and the mean hen followed her.
I removed the mean hen and the one getting pecked stayed in the coop. She’s not sick. She’s just scared and stressed. But all was quiet in the pen.
this morning I went to feed and again heard a ruckus. Now a DIFFERENT chicken was attacking her. I removed her from the pen and put her alone. Put the other mean hen back in and no issues.
I gave the attacked hen Nutri Drench for poultry. Gave her food and water and she went right to eating. She’s not sick but she looks like hell. She has no tail feathers left. Why are the other hens beating her up? And should I give her anything else?

:welcome :welcome

Are you 100% positive that she's ok? Sometimes that's a sign of a sick chicken. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently?

I have no experience with roosters but it sounds like your hens might be figuring out a new pecking order sense you removed a bird and your hen might just be super docile
I’ve had similar things happen when I add Or remove birds normally they figure it out on there own but if someone gets badly hurt I’ll pull her out to let her heal before trying to reintroduce her
Idk I’m probably wrong but hope that helps

Well she sure hasn’t acted sick. I’m with them every day and no signs. No new chickens. These have been together since the day I brought them home at 3 days old. They were all stressed by the rooster so I gave him to a friend. She’s separated now until I find out what’s going on. I don’t know if I should give her any other medications.

Well she sure hasn’t acted sick. I’m with them every day and no signs. No new chickens. These have been together since the day I brought them home at 3 days old. They were all stressed by the rooster so I gave him to a friend. She’s separated now until I find out what’s going on. I don’t know if I should give her any other medications.
Was she very close to the rooster? She may be mourning over him causing herself to be a target. From what I hear of the rooster, it actually sounded normal. The hens just needed saddles, and/or he needed more hens. Unless, of course, he was just plain beating them up, and not just mounting.

Back
Top Bottom